Level Up To Three!
by Elizabeth Waddington
Every other summer, you have a chance to level up from two to three by spending an August weekend in Bozeman with fellow Master Gardners. While the dates have not been set for 2020, according to Dara Palmer, the Montana Master Gardener Coordinator, the basics will include Integrated Pest Management sessions, Real Colors training, and tours/demonstrations.
From the state website: The Level 3 Master Gardener course is an intensive training offered on the campus of Montana State University – Bozeman. There will be approximately 30 hours of class time and a minimum 40 hour volunteer commitment. The Level 3 Master Gardener course will emphasize a hands-on curriculum focusing on volunteer management training, plant diagnosis and insect identification. To be eligible for Level 3 Master Gardener, students must be a certified Level 2 Master Gardener and be nominated by their county or reservation Extension agent or Master Gardener Coordinator. Space for this class is limited to 24, please be aware there may be a waiting list.
To entice you to consider this extra training, several folks who have recently been through the training shared their “top 5 reasons”. Here are a few of them:
- Access to the insect collection at MSU, once in a lifetime opportunity.
- Real colors, Personality test – understand yourself and others.
- Another level of information from individual presentations.
- Gallatin Valley Farmers Market visit.
- Hands on practical training.
- Exposure to gardeners from other parts of the state and their problems and solutions.
- Learn to research topics.
- Learn more to contribute more to the community and Master Gardner program.
- Working knowledge of Schutter Diagnostic lab.
- Network with like-minded individuals.
- Awesome food.
- And, drumroll please… a Cool Purple Shirt.
A huge benefit is “expanding your knowledge base” to the point that others (especially outside the master gardener group) feel comfortable approaching you for input into their gardening practices or directing them to information that they may not know is readily available.
More details and dates to come but don’t delay, when you hear it is open, register right away!